Thursday, April 05, 2007

Do This in Rememberance

Maundy Thursday

Therefore, my dear friends, flee from the worship of idols. I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a sharing in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a sharing in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.

1 Corinthians 10: 14-17

Your body, broken for me?

It is too much, Lord. Too cruel. Too insane. I am not worth your suffering. Why not just let me go? Leave me to my fate and look after your faithful people, the ones who have not broken your heart with their stupidity and selfishness and arrogance and ingratitude? If this is what it takes to save my life, let me die. How could I live, knowing what it cost you?

And the Lord said…

“It is not for you to decide who is worthy and who is not. I have chosen whom I have chosen and paid what I have paid for my Father’s glory. What has been broken, has been broken in hate and fear. But what has been laid down on the altar was laid down in love and in hope. The Creator has offered a sacrifice to the creature – not to worship, but to teach you how to love the imperfect in yourself and in all my beloved children. In the breaking of the bread, remember that I was willingly broken for you. To bring you home.

Go and do likewise, in remembrance of me."

Most merciful God, as we begin this most holy of seasons, grant us the vision to see your broken heart at the center of the Eucharist. A heart broken by our own sin – but a heart you allowed us to break, so that we your children might enter and dwell in it forever.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment